Friday, February 6, 2009

The evolution of a Programmer

Worth a read: http://www.ariel.com.au/jokes/The_Evolution_of_a_Programmer.html

Just before I graduated from High School, I decided to enroll myself in a BS Computer Science course. I never had touched a computer not until the first scheduled laboratory day in one of our major subjects.

I took the subjects seriously that I wanted to learn more. I stayed at the laboratory room whenever I got a chance. Soon enough we were taught how to program. Our instructors hands us some printed set of codes to copy and make sure to be able to run it. One required us to bring a particular book and have us do the activities in the book from a certain page to another. It was a tedious task but we diligently progressed, we overcame and learned a lot.

It all started with the task of printing "Hello World" on the screen. Colors, position and other styles and attributes made it complex. Going through the simple exercise can be tiresome but learning is picked at every level it goes through making through the levels of modification. The joke on the above URL precisely demonstrate a reality. Some simple tasks are made complicated to display prowess and knowledge on the particular topic -- this case, printing "Hello World".

In one of the subject I have taken, I overly tried to produce an awesome program but in the end, I was not able to pass it. It was a simple requirement but the aim was too bloated that it didn't materialized.

"The best way to approach it is to do it from the basic". However, basic in programming is not enough especially when you want to involve a lot of factors other than the basic output. Being strict can be bloated and being simple may not be just what is seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment